Saturday, January 22, 2011

Greek Salad Pitas

  This is what I had for lunch today!  It made me a happy lady!  I am always trying to think of ways to eat more vegetables for lunch.  One thing I have been doing a lot lately is just having some canned soup with lots of vegetables in it.  I usually don't like to spend a lot of time making lunch.  But today I made this delicious pita!  It doesn't take too long to put together, just long enough to do some slicing.  It is really healthy and reeeeally yummy!  I love love love kalamata olives.  Have you ever tried them?  They are amazing.  They might not be for everyone.  They taste probably closer to a green olive than a black one, but I don't think they are as bitter as the green ones.  They are salty with a little bite to them.  Also, I love feta cheese!  MMMM!  If you are not big on the lemon flavor, you may want to cut back on the lemon juice a tad bit.  So this recipe I got from a Martha Stewart Magazine.  I have to warn you that this is not the most economical lunch.  Feta cheese and kalamata olives come with a bit of a cost, but for me it is worth it once a month.  Just buy them on sale.  I have this lunch the same week I have another recipe that calls for both ingredients, Greek Chicken Pasta, so that I can get two meals out of one can of olives and one container of feta.  I will share that recipe with you later in the week when I make it, so I can give you a picture.   

                                                  Greek Salad Pita Wrap
                               1/2 cup reduced fat (2%) plain greek yogurt
                               1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
                                2 T lemon juice
                                1/4 tsp finely grated garlic
                                4 whole wheat pitas
                                2 small cucumbers, very thinly sliced crosswise
                                1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
                                1/2 small red onion
                                3 oz reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled (3/4 cups)
                                1/3 cup pitted Kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
                                 1/3 cup coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley


 1. preheat oven to 375.  Stir together yogurt lemon zest, and garlic.   Arrange pitas on a baking sheet: bake until warmed and pliable, about 3 minutes.


 2. Toss together lemon juice, cucumbers, tomatoes , onion, geta, olives, and parsley.  Divide salad mixture among pitas, and spread.  Divide yogurt mixture among pitas and spread.  Divide salad mixture among pitas; roll to close.  Wrap in parchment to secure.


Instead of heating the pitas in the oven, I just microwaved mine for about 15 seconds.  Just make sure you don't do too long or they will get rubbery.  This recipe serves 4.  The pitas I used were smaller, like 6 inch diameter, so I think it would make at least 6 of those.    Each pita has 282 calories.

1 comment:

  1. Looks Yummy Lizzie! I am glad you have pictures of the girls on here. We love to see how they are growing.

    ReplyDelete