Sunday, January 16, 2011

Fairy Party

My oldest daughter, Reina, turned 3 on New Years Eve.  We had planned a fairy party for her, but unfortunately she woke up quite sick on her birthday and I had to cancel the party.  She didn't really seem too upset.  I told her I thought she was too sick to have her friends over and she just said, "yeah, I'm too sick."  She did keep talking about how she was going to have a pink cake, though, so Tom went to the store and got some cupcakes, I put some pink sprinkles on them, and we sang happy birthday to her.  The rest of the day was pretty much spent laying around being sick and no one at our house stayed up til midnight for the new year.

We redid the party on the 8th and it turned out really fun, I thought.  I got most of my ideas from familyfun.com.

First, we made tiny pink scrolls with tiny words inside, which had to be read with a magnifying glass because it was written by a fairy.
"Fairies, fairies did you hear?
Reina's birthday is almost here."
We'll sing, we'll dance, we'll have sweet fun
You'll be a fairy before it's all done.

Wear your fairy best, a tutu will do,
your wings and accessories await you.
The party's at 12, please say you'll fly by
Reina's godmother awaits your reply."

The original poem said ___'s birthday is this year, which I thought was silly because, well, everyone has a birthday every year.  I don't know if my version is much better because I rhymed hear with here, but oh well.
Here is a picture of the invitations.
 






We delivered these by hand with a little magnifying glass i got at the dollar store in the party favors section.

I set the stage for the fairy party by making a fairy bower.  I hung pink tulle from the ceiling and stapled artificial flowers around the entrance.  We have a ceiling fan in our dining room, so we had to work around that.  We taped the fabric around the base of the fan and then brought each strip out and hung it from the ceiling with tape and thread.  We used a hula hoop to give it more shape at the top.  I am saying "we" because my hubbster helped me out a lot with this project.   He is a good sport.  I used a table top from Lowes, some "tacky" and an upside down hamper to make the little table. I wanted it to look kind of like a tree stump, so I got a brown tablecloth to put over it.


This is Reina, the birthday girl




My baby, Skye, and Reina's BFFN (best friend for now), Kayla

The first thing we did was have a lunch.  The fairies got to eat in their bower, and the adults ate at the table in the next room.  We had chicken salad sandwiches, pink-chocolate-dipped strawberries, and pink lemonade.


The fairies enjoying their tea party.  They even drank their
lemonade about a tablespoon at a time out of the tiny tea cups.


After the tea party, we made a fairy landscape or "enchanted garden."  These were made with those plastic trays you put under house plants.  I cut some Styrofoam to size and glued it inside and the glued the green ribbon around the outside and the moss on the top.  Then I provided the girls with different nature items to make their garden with.  I also thought it would be fun to have a little fairy they could play with in their garden, so I bought some little wood peg people and butterfly-shaped wood and glued them together to make the fairy.  The cost less than a dollar each to make.  This activity was cute idea, but it may have been a bit too old for the group of girls I had.  They still had fun being creative and using their glue, though.






The next activity was to go on a fairy treasure hunt.  The website suggested using gold buttons, but it was just too expensive to buy that many gold buttons, so I just bought these pearl beads.  Also, I originally planned on hiding the beads individually and having the girls collect them in their pouches, but there were babies present, and I was afraid they would find the beads and put them in their mouths, so I just hid a pouch of beads for each of the girls.


After they found the "treasure" they strung the beads onto pipe cleaners to make into little bracelets.
Showing off their new bracelets

The baby fairies: Skye and Maddy




And of course, we had the pink cake and sang Happy Birthday!  Reina was in heaven!




1 comment:

  1. I loved the flower bower that you made it turned out so enchanting! It really looks like so much fun what a wonderful memory for Reina. I love how the little gardens turned out they are really cute. The little girls are so darling in their little fairy costumes. What fun!!!

    ReplyDelete